1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

over seeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QLC, Mar 9, 2000.

1. QLC

QLC LawnSite Member

Hey everybody,<br>I'm new to this forum. Found it last week and been reading and learning. I started my own lawn business three years ago and am currently working in a factory too. Hoping to go full time lawn care in a few years (wife is in school). Been learning by trial and error until I found this forum. Here is my ?. I've got a yard that needs to be seeded. It was a new home last year and grass was planted but it was right before a drought. There is some grass, weeds, and dirt spots. What would be the best way to go about this? I have thought about spraying for weeds first then either power seeding or aerating then broadcasting. Which would give better results. By the way, this is a great and knowledgable site.<p>Thanks,<br>QLC<br>

2. ProLawn Care

ProLawn Care LawnSite Member

QLC-<br>It depends on how bad the yard is. Do you need to redo everything? RoundUp and start over.<br>Not that bad? Spray the weeds. Liquid is better than granual with post emergent weeds in my opinion. When you seed, at the least aerate with a plugging type. You will have better results with a verticut or slicer seeder than anything else. The ground contact is better. Good luck.

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

QLC...FYI...Be careful if you use the herbicide (RoundUp) approach as you should have a pesticide license (at least here in PA you need one) to apply such materials.

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

QLC, go to the &quot;search&quot; function above, in the line where you found registration. In the search box type in SEED, to find topics in the past relating to your question. There are often dozens of comments about any given subject.<p>Also note that the default display is for messages 10 days old or less (toward upper right on main forum page). There are literally hundreds of threads that are not appearing onscreen.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<br>