Over Seeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, May 2, 2003.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

My girlfriends parents want their yard dethatched and over seeded. What is the best way to do this? Their yard is HUGE and i know it will be a big job. They are going to pay accordingly, but i need to know what kind of equipment i need them to rent, and how to go about doing it. I know to dethatch first, then do the seeding second. What is the best way to spread the soil and seed? Or is their another way to do it? I have an exmark 48'' lazer. That's about it as far as equipment. Thanks for the help and advice, I have never done this before.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

First of all, why is it bare? Is it because of grub damamge? (probably). Know the prob first. You'll want to take care of these so you aren't losing even more grass in the next 2-3 weeks before they pupate. Also, if there isn't a bad thatch problem, I would suggest a slice-seeder. The problem is, is that Lesco's is rented for like the next 3 weeks straight. If you'd like, I can come out and meet you there and take a look at it, and advise you on the best and most feasible means to handle this, what to use, and how exactly to charge it. Where abouts is the problem at? Just let me know, chances are I'll be out that way anyway.

3. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

You might just want to tine rake the piss out of it...Do it horizontally, vertically, up an down. Clean it all up, and do it again.Then overseed it and apply starter fert... If they are gonna pay you for it give them what they are paying for. I bet the parents will love you after you spend a day doin it! JMTC:D

4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

The yard is very patchy and spotty. Some grass grows, some doesn't. The yard is very big with great potential. I know there is a good amount of thatch, and once removed there will be a need to seed. Parts of the lawn were sodded and parts were hydroseeded. Not sure what is what, or when it was done, but i know it has been at least 5 years.

Runner:
    What is a split seeder and what does it do? Does Evans Equipment rent them?

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They might. Home Cheapo rents them too. They have Bluebirds. Basically, it's a machine, that works like a thatcher, that cuts slits into the ground, about an inch and a quarter apart, then deposits the seeds right down into these slits, and covers them up. You go in two different directions, and it fills right in when it grows. Use some starter fert, also.

6. nova385

nova385 LawnSite Member
    from Mid MI

The overseeder at the burton home depot is almost always there- I think it is about $60 for 24hr.

The spots may damage due to the lack of rain last year?