1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

over seeding ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NHLawns, May 24, 2003.

1. NHLawns

NHLawns LawnSite Member
    from NH

I have a property that has a lot of winter damage on the front lawn from sand and salt. I have power broomed it already, but most of the grass did not come back. The question is, should I loam, fert and seed, or rent a slice seeder and go that route.
    I have never used a slice seeder and was wondering if this would have the same results with less labor as the loam seed process. I have not measured it yet, but I am guessing it is around 1200 sq ft
  2. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would aerate it, apply seed and starter fert, then apply a heavy topdress of compost at 1/2-3/4" to coover seed.
    I hate slit seeders and I am a firm believer in doing it right the 1st time.
    Best to you
  3. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

with a good slit seeder like the ryan i use you can get excellent germination rates.
    Aerate put down starter fert and take one half of the seed rate and go diagonal and then take the other half of the seed and go diagonal accoss the first pass in a crosshatch pattern.

If the thatch aint bad slit seeding is pretty easy .