1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"Over the top"

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Tri-City Outdoors, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Tri-City Outdoors

Tri-City Outdoors LawnSite Member

I have several property's that have Mondo grass and juniper ground cover. I use per-emergent and hand pull. So I was wondering if any over the top spraying would help me out. Any recommendations? Mostly sage but few broad leaved weeds & grasses.
    I posted in the fl forum to get more specific because of our temps in the summer. I do not want to burn anything.
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I have not fooled with Mondo grass but Junipers are easy just expensive to get set up. Try Fusilade for Grassy weeds and Certainty for sedge and broad leafs.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

My experience on the smaller junipers is that Fusilade can be pretty harsh on the plant itself. Are you cutting the rate way down when spraying those? I had considered trying a product with clethodim when dealing with junipers, though I know it probably will not work as well.

The bad part about it, most of the junipers that I have weed problems with either have torpedo or bermuda growing through them, or Florida betony. It couldn't be any of the simple weeds.
  4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

For mondo grass you can use roundup 1/2 regular strength in most cases if the mondo is healthy.

Also check sethoxydim and fenoxaprop...both labeled for weed control in modo/liriope. I have tried sethoxydim and roundup and it works great.