1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

OVER (way over) seeded Fescue

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by khutch, Nov 25, 2010.

1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

it is all i use, and i love it. i have used a bluegrass mixed in at 10% and it is a nice turf, but i dont know if it is worth the extra $
  2. mishmosh

mishmosh LawnSite Member
    from OH

Recommended seeding rates are not guesswork. Excessive seeding rates can results in diminished stress (heat, drought) tolerance, and greater disease pressure.
  3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

No offense dude, but you didn't answer the question.
  4. Cloud9Landscapes

Cloud9Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ca

Wouldn't aerating it and harvesting the cores do the trick? Then applying compost at about 50lbs per 1,000 sqf to fill in the holes. Then you are killing three birds with one stone. Aerating, adding organic matter and thinning the lawn. i imagine you could also use a verticutter or power rake to thin it out, problem with doing this on a cool reason grass is that I have seen where it leaves marks that looks like someone drug around a landscape rake. To alleviate this, you would probably want to set it right where the canopy meets the soil. You don't want to make soil contact when verticutting/power raking.

I have found that the seeding rates for the fescue around here is too low. They recommend something like 2 lbs per 1,000 sqf and it needs to be doubled. You can barely even notice it when it comes up.
  5. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that most seeding rates seem a bit low - This homeowner did a complete renovation, but I did not take the time to measure the property. From what he said my guess was about 8-10 lb per K.
    I'm looking forward to aerating the heck out of it w/a little low N Pre-Em fert mid March.
  6. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Embark would slow top growth but, it normally makes the turf thicker.
    It sounds like that is the last thing you need.
    I agree it will adjust itself gradually.