overbid badly on job, question on what to do

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Apr 14, 2007.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

OK, here is the deal. Two weeks ago I bid on a one time cleanup job. I am not crazy about one timers so I bid high on it, 225 for the mowing and 375 on shrubs. I finished the job in less than half the time I thought it would take. The other LCO did not edge or weedeat, sprayed roundup on everything that needed weedeating and never edged it. The day after I finished the owner called and said that was the best it ever looked and wanted me to do it from now on and he would cut my check on Tuesday. Never said a word about the 225, just told me to do it anytime I saw it needed doing whether it was every week or two weeks, my decision. My question is the yard will never take as long as it did the first time since I got in under control. The big time consumer was weedeating knee high weeds in the flower beds and the ditch. I could actually do the yard for 150 and still bust the dollar a minute. I thought about dropping it to 175 and I would still bust more than one dollar per minute. I know there are lowballer that would do this yard for 75 or less! I know most of you will say take the 225 but I feel like I am stealing from the man, and I do take great pride in my honesty and intregrity even though it has gotten me nowhere:hammerhead: This one account on one cutting will equal most of my other yards for 2 months! Just wanted to ask what would you do?
  2. Loy's Home Services  LLC

Loy's Home Services LLC LawnSite Member

I have the same ethics of buisness. Do what you feel is right and charge what you know you need to. Always have them sign a contract though.
  3. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

Drop your price and they will more forgiving if you ever make a mistake.

Just good business IMO. Your name is more important than any one customer.
  4. mirrorlandscapes

mirrorlandscapes LawnSite Member

ALL RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone who still values integrity and honesty!!!!!!

I applaud you for that and would whole heartedly encourage you to be honest with the guy and tell him you overshot your price and that it didn't take you as long as you had anticipated. How many times does a customer here or get that priviledge? Can you imagine how far that will go with him? Not only are you doing an awesome job that he is already pleased with, but now on top of that he sees that you're honest and aren't out to rip him off.

Word will spread about you, which is the best way to advertise. Keep making a your usual rate or maybe a bit more, ($150 to $175 seems like a fine price) but showing your integrity will bar far pay for itself in the long run.

"Do you see a man skilled in his labor? He will stand before kings."
  5. Myk

Myk LawnSite Member

I'm glad to see these replies......

I agree with everyone 110% I just wrote a paragragh but deleted cause I just said what everyone else said........ Be nice if gas prices was as moral as us goes up a dime goes down a penny greedy bastards
  6. QualityLawnCare4u

Thanks for the encouraging replies. I have pretty much made up my mind to drop it to 175, I feel much better about it, client will be pleased and I am still making a good profit:drinkup: I am waiting to see how quick they pay for the first time job I did before I get to happy about this account! Like I said, this account will make up for a bunch of pita that I either lost or got rid of this year and the account is only 2 miles from the shop, will cut down on driving all over town for 40 dollar yards and save gold, I mean GAS!
  7. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

do what you feel is right.if you can drop the price do it.
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If you had bid it at $75 would you expect him to be ok with an increase up to $125? I would keep it the same. If you give a price and they accept it I fail to see the immorality.
  9. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I had a badly over-priced window cleaning job and felt the same way. I always thought about reducing the price but never did. Last Fall I told the guy I would do it for less and told him the new price. It's 45 mins work for $120, I told him I would do it for $100. anyway, at the end he cuts me a check for $120 anyway and thanked me for offering, lol.
  10. QualityLawnCare4u

lawnman, the price I gave him was for a one time job and it looked pretty bad but still finished it quicker than I thought. I would never feel good about charging 225 every time (unless he asked for extra's) and I stand by my decision. Let your conscious be your guide. To bad Bobby Gedd is not here anymore, would tell me I need to hit with a shovel for even thinking about dropping the price.