1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Overbidding unwanted commercials?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lynden-Jeff, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Im looking at a commercial property. The place is a dive, its a pretty straight forward contract. About 4 acres total property maybe 2 acres of grass spread out in many different sections. The downside is 20-30% or more of the grass is on VERY steep inclines, steep enough to be 21" or string trim. I would really rather not have this property however is there anything wrong with over bidding a little and if I get it then its worth my time? I was thinking around $400 a visit, 4 hours for a 3 man crew.

2. nick-bigfootlawn

nick-bigfootlawn LawnSite Member

If you really didnt want it, try getting more than $400, I could see $400 if you really wanted it (4 hrs w/ 3 men)!
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I over bid all the time on things I don't want. the problem is I get more than I usually want because everyone else is overbidding also. I find that after a few visits I find a way to make it quicker than I even thought of. try using a larger walk behind or a hover mower. set in terms that those areas are eow durring growing season and every month out of growing season.
    there are ways to do this and still make real good money. This is especially true if you are not doing the work.
  4. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be bidding that much if I was really stoked to get the contract.

But to answer the ?.... Don't turn down work... just charge what it's worth to you. If it's a big pain, then charge accordingly.payup Figure out what you need to make profit then keep adding till you start smiling:)
  5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

That is $33.33 per man hour per visit. I am thinking you are way cheap, especially if you really don't want it. I would go 50% higher just to be at my desired minimum rate.
  6. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not say $500.00, more than likely, others will see your same problem and raise the price...throw a number out there. I always say, "whats the worse they can do...say no to the the price" Plus when and if they say we'll go with your bid, your way ahead and turn a good buck.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

$400 for a 12 man-hour job you don't want?

Divide $400 by 12
    Then subtract all your direct and indirect expenses

Now... are you even in the black on it?
  8. Rhinox29

Rhinox29 LawnSite Member

I just did this the other day on a commercial bid. Had a bunch of ditches a pond with weeds a mile high around it and a bunch of construction junk laying all over the place and garbage ( very junky). Bad thing is my sister in-law works there and refered me. Found out I was double the winning bid.
  9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

thats the best way to be on those kind. Let someone else ruin their equipment and not make a profit.
  10. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

thats $33 per man/hour ... i wouldnt do it for that even if i wanted it.

prolly $660 .. and i have low overhead cuz im solo