overdrive or no overdrive

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ashs inc, Jun 24, 2008.

1. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

hey guys i am used to driving a stick shift truck. and when i am pulling my trailer usually just around town the highest gear i get into is 4th. I just purchased a automatic truck. It has an overdrive off button. when i am pulling my trailer do i take the overdrive off?? thanks in advance.

NEIL

2. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

is the trailer heavy? are you going to be going over many hills? If the trailer is heavy then you want to take it out of over drive, and if you are going over many hills then you will want to take it out of over drive that will prevent the tranny from shifting all the time.

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

What does the owners manual say? For my 3/4 towing in overdrive is permitted but if its constantly shifting lock it out of overdrive. (the owners manual has a blurb about that)

Depends on the weight of the trailer... Kinda pay attention to what the pickup is doing and how its shift. Locking it out of overdrive wont hurt a thing.

4. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

I always use the overdrive "off" button when traveling over back roads and in town...highway driving however, I let it go into high gear...