1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

overgrown beds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CLARK LAWN, Apr 16, 2006.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i just got a new customer for mowing and some other things. one problem they have is the beds in the rear of the house are completly full of weeds they want something to put in them to kill off the weeds but not the plants. area is about 4000sqf. i am licensed to spray i just havent found much yet. i just got the lawn saterday afternoon so i havent had a chance to really investigate it to much yet. does anyone have any suggetions
  2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

spot spray round up, hand weed, then apply a pre-m like pendulm 3.3ec (grass weeds) mixed w/ gallary (pre-m for broadleaf weeds) followed by a good layer of mulch, followed up by a monthly maintenance of the same pendulm and gallary mix.
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If there that full of weeds it means they were not taken care of so I would suggest selling them on new beds. Rip out the old treat the new and make 5X the money.

tried selling them new beds she dosnt want to do that because it was her parents and they are both dead now. she wants to save whats there. as for hand weeding it would take entrirely to many hours. like i said 4000 sqf of beds with alot of landscaping in the. most weeds are broadleaf and some grass that has popped up in a few places. would something like speedzone work in ornimental beds or will it kill alot of the plants also
  5. teeca

you can get a selective grass killer, like fusilade, but as far as the broadleaf weeds, you will most likley kill the desired plants in the landscape.. great to get a new customer, but it's easy to make their problem yours. it's not your fault that their beds look like crap.
  6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

NO NO to speedzone in the landscape beds...

here is the lable

Attached Files:

7. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

the ONLY postemergent for broadleaves that can be sprayed into beds is image.
    Check the label against the typs of plants in the bed.

talked to the guy at our local LESCO this morning he suggested Lontrel. he printed me off a label and ive been reading it over seems like it might work anyone have any expaerince with this?
  9. teeca

i down loaded the lable from lesco.. this seams to be a risky option, for one their is a restriction for spot spray only on residential landscape, and a big NO for residential turf.. this stuff hangs around for a LONG time. if you know your plants and what you have in the beds then all th power to you, but if they add plants later (that are not listed as safe) they will most likly die according to the lable (18MO RESIDUAL). and the price of $200 qt? wow!
  10. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Lontrel as an overspray for beds?!?! No way. It's a broad leaf herbicide. That means it kills things like dandelions, chickweed, marigolds, rhodies, and a bunch of other stuff you don't want to kill too. If it is really tall, carefully weed whack them down, then rake it out, and spray the rest with round up. Just don't get any on the stuff you want to keep. And hand rip out the rest. Then mulch it and hit it with some snapshot.