Overgrown Crape Myrtle

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by clayslandscape, Jan 6, 2013.

1. clayslandscape

clayslandscape LawnSite Senior Member

The town where I live planted these along the entrance to the cemetary YEARS ago. They were wondering if they could be cut back so they were not so tall. They are health just are a little mishaped due to the long period of not maintenance. If they can cut them, how far back can they go?

photo (22).JPG

2. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

right now, as far back as you want.

3. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Crape myrtles do better when not topped each year, perhaps some thinning...

4. clayslandscape

clayslandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I would really like to cut them back to about 7ft. Would that hurt such a tree? Will it bloom better cause now they are very sparse.

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Personally I would trim them back with a stump grinder, and deep. If that's not an option cut them a few inches shorter that the last time they were hacked up.

6. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Thin to three to five main trunks and cut down right above where branches spit into two branches. Then get on a maintenance program
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

you can cut them back far as you want. they will always grow back. i would think it's near impossible to kill these trees.

8. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

True...

They wont bloom better when cut back, they want sun generally and to grow really tall. Aphids eat them up

9. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I got a letter from the city that went out to all licensed landscape contractors stating not to trim or cut any crape myrtle's that belong to the city, they will fine the crap out of you.Apparently they don't want crape murder! I laughed but then found out they were dead serious . There IS a proper way to prune one, just research it. It's not a matter of just going in and cutting the crap out of it either! Just because it'll grow back! I mean REALLY!

10. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I missed this post but that's pretty much it.