Overgrown holly Bushes

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by cpllawncare, Sep 1, 2011.

1. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I have a customer that has 4 badly neglected holly bushes, they were taken over with ivey, I cut all the ivey out, but they are all different sizes and look like crap, if I try to trim them all the same size they will be nothing left but bare branches, how would you approach this?
  2. silverado212

silverado212 LawnSite Senior Member

Let the customer know that. They may want you just to shape them as they are or replace. Let them decide, better them than you to hack them up and then they want them replaced.
  3. cpllawncare

Yea I've already had that discussion, she doesn't want to replace them.I guess they will just have to look like crap until such time.
  4. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Deciduous trees will develop new buds and fill in eventually. Just do an excellent job with the pruning.
  5. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I would wait till late fall to trim them and shape them up that way look bad just during winter time and come spring they will bud up
  6. cpllawncare

I was thinking the same thing just wasn't sure they would come back.
  7. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I've had overgrown trees of all kinds over the years, that a home owner decided were overgrown... wanted them brought down to size, sometime by as much as half... the trick is, not try to take it all at once...

Come Fall, I would remove the obvious problem branches first, then prune back the ends ensuring that there is at least a few buds evident that will grow in the Spring... by the following Fall all the new growth gave me more options on cutting back the old branches even further...

as a general rule there is little danger of harming a tree during dormancy, however you should always check for disease hazards and sometimes dip your blades in bleach between cuts...
  10. cpllawncare