Overgrown lawn! Need HELP!!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by rhs69er, Jan 16, 2004.

1. rhs69er

rhs69er LawnSite Member

I hope someone can help!? Just bought home where no yard care has been done for about 2yrs. . Had it bush hogged (3-4' tall) and will be trying mow on highest level and rake up excess before I try for a new yard.Most I guess could be considered field grass because it is growing in large lumps. Any way to resolve this short of tearing up the whole yard???????

2. LouisianaZJ

LouisianaZJ LawnSite Member

Kill everything with a spray on herbicide, spread new topsoil, reseed (wait till spring)

3. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

Looks like you have your hands full, so don't expect this to work out in one year. Most grass and winter weeds will be dormant at the moment in Ky, so I would clean up where the bush hog has been.

Depending on the quality of lawn you want, will decide how much work you will have to do. I'm assuming that you can see bare soil, with grass clumps about 6inches apart.

This year I would suggest aerating you lawn, in late Feb, early March, or when the ground is thawed, but not too wet. Follow this with a slit seeder, with a setting of 10lbs/1000sq/ft. Followed by some starter fert. Try to get the seed down when you can work the ground. You could try a tall fescue as a grass seed.

Check the seed, as some grass seed need a soil temp of 60degrees+ to germinate. This way you won't be expecting seed, and getting nothing.

This should give you a start. It is a mixture of advice, but will get a lawn in, and not a dust bowl for summer.

Hope this helps.

Bryn

4. rhs69er

rhs69er LawnSite Member

thanks Bryn !