Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brandon1022, Aug 3, 2004.

1. brandon1022

brandon1022 LawnSite Member

Got a call today from a guy who wanted 4 lots cut. All in one subdivision. No trimming. No houses on lots. Two were about half an acre a piece. One about 3 quarters and the other one third of an acre. The 2 halves looked good just a little high. The others looked like a jungle. Had not been mowed all season and maybe not last either, Would have to be bush hogged which I cannot do. I called him back and told him I would be glad to to cut the two for $50 and then if he had the others bush hogged. I would do all for $110. Would you agree with this? And why do people let their lots get this high than call someone advertising lawn mowing?

2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

For the obvious reason. . .to save money and then have the lawncare guy trash his equipment for a fraction of the cost of having it bush-hogged. He needs to take all the money he saved by letting it grow and pay for a bush-hog. That's just the cost of owning those lots. Don't let him get to you.

But to answer your question: I think $50 for two half acre lots is too low for a one-time job. That's less than I would charge for a similar lot that was well-maintained twice a month, assuming it has trees. $50 is not worth the wear and tear + the risk of hitting something in that tall grass.

And $110 for 4 lots equaling about 1.5 acres would be about right if it were all arranged so that you don't have any windshield time between them, and once they were back in shape, and if you could mow them regularly(at least every two weeks).

But that's just my opinion, which is based on the costs of living in my region, which I would think is about average.
  3. brandon1022

One time I agree, but it was on the condition I kept the lots on a regular basis. They are all togethor. One lot in between two of them. So I do hope he calls back for regular maint.
  4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i think you got ripped off.

I did a 2000 sq foot job (jungle take down) for $100. I mow it every other week now for $30 bucks..

By the way..the cop stopped me while i was cutting the overgrown property and asked if i wanted to do one time cuts for all of the overgrown properties in the town...(Charge whatever i want, because it is just added to the owners taxes!!!)

5. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in greensboro, the lots that haven't been mowed are bid out to scrubs. The city requires that lawn services have licensing but I know for a FACT that several of the ones mowing the lots for the city are not licensed. The send em to whoever is the cheapest. Then, the city will bill the owner 110.00 for the first offence and 500.00 for the second. This is for the average city lot of 6000 to 8000 sf.
    The scrubs here get about 35 to 40 bucks for several months growth, and it has to be raked or bagged.

I tried to bid once but found out thats what they get for the lots so I won't touch it.
  6. brandon1022

I am not doing the jungle. I will mow it after it has been bush hogged though. So I don't I'm getting ripped or are you saying my overall price was to low? I don't have the equipment to take on that much overgrowth.
  7. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

Had a guy that sells mobile home financing stop me three weeks ago and tell me he wanted me to maintain a property of his till it sells. Property is double wide mobile home on about 1.0 acres, gravel driveway, etc. He said the last guy charged him $65 and could I do it for that? He wasn't pleased with the guys work. I told him I'd drive by and call him with an estimate. Got to the house and the weeds were higher than the windows. This place hadn't been cut all year and maybe half of last year. How do you hide six feet of grass in 3" of grass with a mulching kit?

I called and gave him the estimate:

First cut = $385
    Bi-monthly cut = $75

He said he'd get someone to bushhog it first and then call me again. I called two weeks later after it had been bushhogged (and the top of the aerobic system and water meter had been torn off) and asked him if he wanted me to give him another estimate. His response was, "I think I'll let the other guy do it" and I thought that was a great idea.
  8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Stay away from subdivision lots unless you have a bush hog.
    The garbage and rocks and height of grass and weeds and uneven terain will kill a comercial mower.
    Take a pass.