Overhead basket

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chuck bow, Dec 27, 2005.

1. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know where to buy a overhead type basket to mount on front of trailer where the mower front would fit underneath Checked with a couple of fabricators around here and they want anywhere from 500 bucks and up .... seems like i saw them online but havent a clue where . I need to replace the tool box on front of trailer and i think this is my best bet

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Northern Tool has them,I cant remember the price, the shipping is what made them not so attractive

3. Lawn Enforcement FM

Lawn Enforcement FM LawnSite Member

4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Just curious, do you have one of theese boxes and are you pleased with it?

wayne

6. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Northern Tool has the basket for-$300

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Here is a pic of mine. It's not for sale, but I spent about $140 on materials building it myself.

Finished storage rack (2).jpg

8. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

WT, that is one nice fabrication job.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Nice job Matt. How many hours did it take?

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Entirely too long...lol. I would have to guess around 30 or 40. I bet a fab shop could get done in about 10. On the expanded metal I tack welded about every other point of contact. It might of been overkill, but wanted it to last. That made for a lot of cleaning (the welds). I also painted by hand. Now I have an airless sprayer and using it would have saved some time. Half-way through I bought a better welder, that helped. It's held up very fine. The only real mistake I made use using piano hinges for the door. It's on the second pair and only has one weld left. The material is too thin. I have some steel weldable hinges on order from Grainger now. Other things I would have done different would be to use smaller square tubing. I used 2" and feel that was too much. That sucker is heavy. Also, only one chain for the door instead of two. Thanks for the compliments.

Matt