1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

overheating 4700

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Dirt Digger2, May 21, 2006.

1. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

the tractors a 1999 JD 4700 with 1250 hours on it. Lately shes been overheating when the PTO is engaged, such as when doing rotary mowing. It runs normal (between 1/4 and 1/2 of the temp gauge) when doing heavy loader work and road driving, etc... but when the mower is hooked up it gets up to 3/4 on the temp gauge and dangerously close to the red. Its air filter was replaced at the end of last year, and all the screens are clean...any ideas?
  2. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

bad radiator cap or also check fluid level
  3. Brant

Brant LawnSite Member

You may need to check the mower itself... make sure there's grease in those fittings or nothing is going out on the mower.
  4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

check the PTO, is there any damage? is the PTO shaft bent?, call your local JD place and ask whats up.
  5. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

How abou the radiator it self, is it clean of dirt and stuff? How big a rotery mower is it? It might be the nature of the tractor to heat up running an application that takes a fair amount of horse power.

When I was cutting hay with a 3020 John Deere and a 14 foot hydro swing windrower if shift into a higher gear it would heat up. Shift down a gear it would coold down.
  6. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Its not the nature of the tractor. I have a 4700 also and it never gets past 1/4 on the temp guage unless I'm bushhogging heavy undergrowth and the radiator screens gets plugged with chaff. With 1250 hours on it I would clean the radiator & screens and replace the thermostat and check the water pump belt tension.
  7. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

problem solved...turns out when we were roto-tilling with it a few weeks ago when it was really dry and powdery it clogged the air filter. It was brand new, but we put new inner and outer filters on and it doesn't go above 1/4 now...thanks guys