overlay question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by sven1277, Mar 26, 2013.

1. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

We have done several overlay jobs before using 2 3/8" pavers with bedding sand underneath. I am pricing a job where the existing slab is in good shape. The customer wants to update the look. The additional height is the concern where the walk meets the driveway. Right now, the slab sidewalk is lower than the driveway. Any overlay will bring the paver level higher than the driveway, but I'd like to limit the height difference as much as possible.

So here is my question. Can I use a thinner paver, such as Techo-Bloc Blu 45mm and use construction adhesive or a mortar bed and use overlay poly sand for the joints? Thanks for your replies.

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Depands on the elevation measurements. So go back and measure.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Could you remove the last 6' or so of the existing walk and lay pavers to meet flush to the overlay? Shooting in the dark here, I have no idea how the grade is now or the length of the walk
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. sven1277

I think the current asphalt driveway was laid over the old making the the sidewalk about an inch lower than the driveway. I have thought about removing the last several feet. I think that may be a good option.

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Asphalt companies always need to meet flush with garage thresholds, streets, walks, etc so the completely remove 6-10 feet to make the new tie in flush.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Thats what i would do^^ rip the last couple feet
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. sven1277

I agree that's the best solution. Thanks guys.