Overly dethatched (damaged) yard

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by HLC Inc, Apr 24, 2006.

1. HLC Inc

HLC Inc LawnSite Member
    from MN

I have a customer that used a cavex rake to dethatch about 1/8 of their yard. They ended up damaging about 600 sq ft pretty bad. The damaged grass is brown and is not greening up like the adjacent grass which was not damaged by the cavex. What do you think should be done?

2. skurtz78

skurtz78 LawnSite Member

I would get 1/2 yard of topsoil and 1/2 yard of peat moss and lightly cover the area and throw down some seed. This should help thicken back up the area and will hold moisture better. I am assuming that this area is stuggling already if he had to dethatch it that much.

3. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Bad Humans, slap their hands...Most people do not know how to or when to use a dethatcher. Dethatching is a last ditch effort to be used only when the thatch is so thick it is killing the grass and providing a home to bugs and disease. Usually 1/2 to 1 inch in northern grasses. then it has to be removed.

To fix the problem youmay want to go back with a quick overseeding with a like type of grass like Skurtz said. If they damaged the existing grass that much they will need new plants.

4. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not a fan of thatchers.