Overpaying help

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Proscapes, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Proscapes

Proscapes LawnSite Member

I previously posted this in the wrong section
    I've got a small, residential design/build company with a few employees.

I hired a guy who had 5+ years experience in related landscape/tree care. His previous jobs paid quite well. After hiring him, I found he has an average skill level, but the production level is not warranting the rate I'm paying. I've paid laborers a lot less who have put out the same level of work.

Be interested to know what others have done in a similar situation.

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

The first thing you need to do is clearly state your expectations. You would be surprised what people can do when they are given a goal. They do even better when you illustrate to them how they might achieve that goal.

Employees are tools, its up to us as owners to use them in a way that produces the best results for both parties. Start by talking to the guy.

3. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

Talk to him. Explain what you expect and give him a reasonable amount of time to meet your expectations. Tell him how long he has to meet your expectations and what the result will be if he does not. If he does not, either adust his compensation or fire him. Some would argue that the only option should be to fire him because he will be a demotivated worker after you lower his pay. You should decide based on your knowledge of the individual.