Overpriced a job today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by burns60, Oct 21, 2006.

1. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

A lady across the street from where I was working today came over and asked me if I would trim her yard after she finished mowing it. She said her trimmer was broken. I asked her about the edging as well, trying to get an idea about what to charge her. She said no, that she had an electric edger and all she needed was trimming. Not a large house or yard, maybe 1/4 acre and probably a 1500 square foot house with not much shrubbery. She said it had a patio in the back and I could see a shop building as well. I figured that I could do it in about 20 minutes. I thought it would be worth my time and would be a fair price so I just told her $10 bucks. She reacted like I had punched her. Said no way she would pay that. I probably looked as shocked that she turned me down as she looked about the price I had quoted. I just smiled and said "ok" and went about my business.

Maybe it was a $5 job, but dang, I just "ain't" gonna work for a hamburger. (just yet anyway)

2. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

I would have told her $20. I did that for a neighbor of a customer of ours. Our customer is only $40 yard, neighbor lady asked how much to edge and and trim. I figured to be 25 min and told her $30. She said fine and paid me $40 for my trouble and it took an extra 21 min. Now it is one of my favorite stops, two houses $70 each week and only take a total of 15 min (3 of us, so 45 min job).

3. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Good for you!!!

I would have told her $20.00. 10 bucks and she freaked! LOL, You should have told her that your not the neighbor boy with daddys trimmer!

Cheap bitty, go replace the trimmer you broke and leave me to make some real money!

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know about your locations, but around here, trimming is 50-75% of the job. Most of our residentials can be mowed in 10 minutes or less, but may have 10-15 minutes of trimming and blowing. Kudos to you for even offering to do it for her, as I would have told her no thanks.

5. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Its hard to believe that people think we can fit them into our already tight schedule and work for less then $10. Probably all the neighbor kids already turned her down. Crazy world.

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I would have given the same price... Iv'e had a couple edge (with stick edger EOW) only customers. One was $10 per time and the other $12 just because it was a PITA to get to and off my route by a few blocks. Both were HAPPY to get it done at that price, never mind that the $10 one literally took 5 minutes start to finish.

Where it stumbles my up is when I charge that to edge and then they ask me to mow like once, or for a price weekly for the year. The $12 edge lawn was VERY small, prolly under 2,000 sq. ft. I gave her a price of $20 though, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking "I hope she dosn't do math real well" lol. Cause to mow, trim AND edge I'd be there 4 to 5 times as long as it would have taken me to JUST edge and used more equipment ect. for less than 2x the price... Guess it boils down to some sort of minimum price. For mowing there HAS to be a bottom and same for all other services. Stick to that price YOU set and if they get pizzed, FINE, Cause if you bent you would be working for nothing essentially.

7. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

My minimum price is $37 and it doesn't matter if it is a 500 sqft. Just have have a minimum and stick to it. Another company in my area (a friend of mine) is $42. I will probably move my min upto 40-42 next year. I have not had one person say no because of price this year. Yeh I know that there are companies around here that will do it cheaper, but oh well.

8. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

$20 here too. We don't do any maintenance for under $60 an hour.

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!
    Another educated consumer!
    If she gets hit with enough "education", someday she may pay for a lawn service!
    I had someone do me that way one time. I try my best to have fun with them when I can.

10. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Good man. I had a kid come up to me today telling me he owns a lawn biz and that his trimmer and blower were stolen and asked if I could do one of his commercial spots for $100. He proceeds to tell me that it will take 3 hours to do. He then said his truck was broken down. I got the deer in the headlights too when I quoted $240. . Nice kid though.

Next door neighbor, asks me to plow her this winter. Tells me that she didnt want the last years guy cuz his truck broke down "Not my problem", she says. I asked what she paid and she replied $300. Then she says, they only plowed 10 times. I ask, if it snowed 50 times, could they ask for more money?? I quote her $375 and again, got the deer in the headlights.

ETA: I have received the deer look quite a bit this year. Its funny cuz back in the day I would have been all over those prices like a fat kid on a smartie.... but now I know my cost.