1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

overseed sandy soil

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jeff_0, Apr 8, 2005.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

A custoemer of mine has sandy soil and some areas that are bare with clay type soil. can i just over seed over that soil or should i add topsoil or something else? I want to make sure i do a good job.

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Seed to soil contact and moisture is what grows seed. Throwing seed on top of anything is called bird food.
    Sandy soil and clay soil seems to be quite unique. My experience has been that those two are at different ends of the spectrum. We have heavy clay soil where i am at and I will tell you that if you want to grow grass fom seed you need to break the clay up and then cap it with a few inches of topsoil or pulverized black dirt. In the sandy area you will need to cap it also as sand has little water holding capacity. So go out and get yourself a yard of dirt a shovel and wheel barrow and cap the bad areas and seed it. Keep it wet and whatever you do, do not guarantee anything. Good Luck.