1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Overseed w/out aerating?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Feb 28, 2000.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

can i overseed a yard w/ out aerating it and still see results, also what would be a "5 time" fertilization program, like what to apply and when?
  2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to a local fertilizer supplier to get a good fertilizing program set up for your needs. As far as aerating and seeding. Yes you can seed without aerating. I have done it with decent results but you have to make the seed stick to the ground, so some type of soil preperation is necessary. Using a dethatcher would be the best way to prepare the soil. Then go over it with a roller. IF you get some rain or have your customer water regularly you should have very good results. Most customers and many landscapers are under the false impression that aerating is needed when seeding. Aeration more than anything decompacts the soil to allow the existing grass's roots to absorb water, nutrients and air more readily.
  3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

In my area the best way to overseed. Is to areate. March and april are the best time to fertalize.
  4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Throw seed out over the lawn- 15% germination<br>New lawn, tilled & levelled - 85-90% germ<br>Slit seeding after aeration - 65-75%<br>Basic slit seeding - - 60-65%<br>Seeding after powerraking - 20-25% germ<p>Success with grass seeding is basically seed to soil contact. Seed should ideally be planted 1/32&quot; to 1/16&quot; deep. Powerrake or dethatch doesn't lift up much soil to accept the seed. Aeration alone, then seeding, is better than powerrake and seeding from my experience.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana
  5. richard

richard Banned

epsom salts help alot and cost nothing<br>
  6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

In my area of the northeast all that would do is, well, we call it &quot;feeding the birds&quot;. Five minutes after you leave the lawn will be wall-to-wall starlings eating expensive bird food.<p>Bill