Overseeder choice

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jcltyson, Jul 5, 2006.

1. jcltyson

jcltyson LawnSite Member

Has anyone had any experience with the Husqvarna overseeder vs the Bluebird vs Turfco vs Lesco?
  2. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no experience with, Husky,Bluebird OR Turfco.We run Ryan Mataway’s and Lesco Renovator’s.The Lesco is easier to use and cheaper then the Ryan. The Lesco does hills a lot better then the Ryan. The Ryan does a first class excellent job, it feeds the seeds through tubes to discs that plant the seed into the slit, but is just a bear for employees to operate. The Lesco is much easier to operate then the Ryan, is hydro driven, has Power reverse, fixed blades that slice as seed is cut into the soil,it also has a back brush that drags loose soil over the slice seedbed, very good seeder. The Lesco always delivers a perfect, even distribution we always get excellent germination.

And moreover, if I;m not mistaken,all the other brands you mentioned are not hydro driven.
  3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Not familiar with Husq's overseeder, but I agree with 6'7's (who'd disagree with somebody THAT big?!) assessment of the Ryan an the lesco. Both are excellent machines. The Ryan does a better job, but the increased cost and the fact that it is a complete bear to run make the Lesco a better choice all around. I would not buy the bulebird. Not a quality peice of equipment.
  4. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

The Ryan was developed for Golf Greens and later adapted for lawn use. It does a good job but is a killer to operate on lawns and will not do hills. Eats blades and is generally costly to keep operational. But does a good job. The Lesco does a good job and is self propelled. Seeds on 2 inch centers and has easily replaceable blades. Hydro can get pricey if you mess it up. Other wise a good machine for the money. Turfco does a very good job. Seeds on 1.5 inch centers which makes it excellent for Fescue as the plants a close together. Blades are replaceable as well as the blade stations they mount on. This is important if you have bad areas and soils. A complete shaft with welded blade stations can get costly. The Turfco is not self propelled by the wheels but the blades pull it along very nice when it is cutting 3/8 to 1/2 inch deep. Too deep and it will pull you all over the lawn too shallow and you push it. The blades are close enough together and it has big pneumatic tires so it rolls easily. The Bluebird and Husky are one in the same different paint. The machine was designed as a dethather and a box was added to make it a "Seeder". It is still a dethather with small tires and you have to push it the blades are not close enough to pull the unit along. So you can go up the cost scale BBird..low cost, hard to run lightweight machine
    Turfco great seeder with close spacing, pulls itself along nice price and tough
    Lesco Good seeding on 2 inch centers but self propelled, easy to run..does cost more to operate.
    Ryan, Good seeding on 2 inch centers, expensive, eats parts and hard to run. Also was developed in the 1980s
    With the exception of the Ryan you will get what you pay for. Depends on wether you operate it or pay someone to and if you are seeding Fescue or creeping grasses
  5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Another vote for the lesco machine here, i think a horse drawn machine would be easier to operate than the ryan!