Overseeding after Aeration

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by CFLS22, Sep 20, 2012.

1. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Turf-Type Tall Fescue here in Louisville is 9-10 lbs. per 1,000 on a newly powerseeded seeded lawn. Sometimes we go a hair heavier. So, one 50# bag for 5,000 sq.

On an overseeding into existing turf, with the powerseeder, we knock it down to maybe 5-6 lbs./1,000.

2. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

We clearly see a difference in the turf between areation/overseeded lawns and simular lawns we just aerate. Most importantly to us, overseeding after earation is a large revenue source for us. With the price we charge for the addition of overseeding, and little additional time added to spread the seed, it is probably averages out to our highest dollar per minute profit.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

So why chew up those profits with wasting seed??? A large portion of most lawns have no room for new plants and throwing seed on the turf in those locations, is throwing money out the window... KBG comes together with its neighbor through rhizomes as the holes close up...

You evidently broadcast the seed and your job is done and I understand that is how the business model runs as established by TGCL... Please understand, I was looking at it from the perspective of a full service solo operator(fsso) doing a more complete job for fewer people... taking care of the turf is only a small part of my service and every aspect is worked out to the most benefit of every detail... I see a difference in the overseeded lawns just as everyone else does... :)