Overseeding and Crabgrass Control?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Cooper Landscaping, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

I only do mowing... So I figured I'd post this question.

My lawn has some bare spots and we've contracted out in past years however the guy who was doing it tryed to screw me on another account so i decided to do it myself this year.

I want to overseed the whole yard to cover the bare spots and thicken the rest of the grass, but we've also had problems in the past with crabgrass.

I'm going to be using the Scott's 5 step process and the first step is the weed barrier that goes down right about now. It says not to seed in areas where this has been applied for 4 months...which would mean that i would still have the bare spots until fall.

If I overseed now... how long do i have to wait before applying the first step for Scott's and will it even be effective then?

Sorry for the babbling. Thanks in advance for any answers or advice.

-Coop

2. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

Refer to the "What kills crabgrass?" thread for more info but I recommend Drive 75df, I've overseeded 2 days after an app and didn't have any problem. The label states you can use it up to 7 days b4 seeding. However, it's expensive. Good luck

3. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

If you overseed now, typically it takes 2-3 few weeks for a Rye or Blue/Rye mix to germination and get to the point of the first mowing. Once it's been mowed the first time its mowed then go ahead and apply a pre-emergent, you'll still get a majority of crabgrass controlled. Anyway escapes can be controlled with spot treating with the Drive that grassredneck indicates.

4. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

Thanks guys-

I'm looking to aerate before i overseed. If i put down the crabgrass control i believe the scotts essentially forms a protective barrier across the yard. If I aerate the yard after this is put down, do this essentially get rid of this barrier?

Right now I'm thinking aerate, seed, wait 2-3 weeks for complete germination and then put down the grabgrass control. Make sense?

Thanks a lot

-Coop

5. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

once you treat for crabgrass using a commercial brand like dimension or even the scotts brand it is important you do not disturb that barrier for at least 2-3 months. Which means no vigerous raking. IF you decide to seed now and wait a month before you apply the pre-m, you risk the possibility of missing the right time to treat the crabgrass. Crabgrass will germinate as soon as the temps start to warm and the ground starts to warm. Better off to treat in the spring and seed in the fall. If you want to seed now find the chemical siduron (tupersan) and spread that. It is a pre-m that allows you to seed now but its effectivness is limited and it is VERY expensive. Put it down, seed and in a few weeks reapply another layer. BUT IT IS EXPENSIVE...

6. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

You can safely apply the Drive 7 days after the emergence of the seedlings, I've done it immediately after with no ill effect w/tall fescue. I agree with RMartin about leaving the surface alone after applying those products if you go that route. In my humble opinion, you're better off and will spend less $$ with a trip to Lesco.