overseeding,areating,rolling,dethaching...etc

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by andyslawns, Sep 24, 2001.

1. andyslawns

andyslawns LawnSite Member

My lawn needs to be areated,dethached, overseded,fertilized have some ruts and dips filled in, and the new sidewalk needs to be backfilled. I have the seed fertilizer and the dirt will be here saturday. What order do i do all of this in? heres what i was thinking.

1. de-thach
    2.dirtwork
    3. areate
    4. overseed fertilize
    5.would it hurt to do over it all with the lawn roller?

please help me out here guys

2. JimsLawnCareSNJ

JimsLawnCareSNJ LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hello, I think it would be best to
    Dethatch,
    areat,
    do the fill ins and go over them with a rake.
    then seed and then make sure you water it so the seeds dont get taken away by the wind

hope this helps

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

1. verti-cut/power rake
    I would use a machine that has a dedicated slicing reel that will cut thru the first layers of roots. This will stimulate root growth to thicken and improve drought/disease resistance.

2. dirtwork
    I would now backfill the areas that you need to, and also fill in along your new concrete walk. I would not aerate over the backfill next to the walk, but it should be okay to run the machine over the spots in the lawn areas.

3. areate
    I would use a core aerator to remove the plugs of soil from the area to be seeded. This will allow for the seed to better root and water and other vital nutrients to reach and be absorbed by the root zone.

4. overseed/fertilize
    I would now broadcast your seed at a rate of 6#/m sf and then once you have done so run the power rake back over the lawn areas to break up the cores from the aeration acting as a topdressing for your seed.

5. I would skip this step its too late in the season for it to be of benefical use. I would however roll out the areas that you will be backfilling and next to the new concrete.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

4. andyslawns

andyslawns LawnSite Member

thanks guys for your input. i rally apriciate it.