Overseeding as a niche service?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Exact Rototilling, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I'm considering offering Overseeding as a potential niche service just like Lawn Aeration. How is the market in your area? Is anyone specializing in this catering to the average homeowner who mows their OWN lawn and those who have OTHERS mow for them. They hire you just for this service?

I will probably rent the over seeder and see if there is decent demand for it. :walking:

2. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Ok . . . so if I was to offer aeration and over seeding as a combined service what would work best?

Overseeding with a slit seeder then aeration with the Plugr?

-or-

Use the Plugr 1st then use the slit seeder?

Problem I see with the last one is filling in your freshly plugged holes. Also there is the issue with potential thatch.

The other option would be to just aerate then use a broadcast spreader for seed . . . but most of the seed will be wasted?

Any input?
    :waving:

3. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

There are two ways to go about this - broadcast seed and then core aerate over top of it or aerate first and then run a slit seeder over top. Although you get less germination using the first method, it is a cost effective service that you can sell to your clients every year. You get better germination using the second method but it is more expensive. To address your question, a slit seeder may collapse some holes around the seed, which is good. If you run the slit seeder at the proper depth, you shouldn't pull much thatch up. A light layer of thatch can be left on the newly seeded lawn and it will provide mulch cover. You can also run some variations off these methods - for example, you can dethatch, then aerate and seed.

4. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

its good in Baltimore i even get some sub work from the a lawn treatment company in my area that cant keep up with it in the spring and fall

5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

The best way I have found is to offer a complete lawn renovation service to customers that have mostly grass with several bare spots or high traffic areas and few weeds. This consists of a soil test to determine what is needed like fertilizer, lime and so on. After this is done mow the the yard to the lowest setting possible to limit the amount of thatch, its also a good idea to run the seeder over the lawn without seed to get up more thatch then rake up excess thatch and remove. After this is done aerate the lawn with a core aerator, apply chemicals then run the overseeder over the lawn in a checker board pattern to insure even coverage. Another step that I do but is not required is to roll the lawn after seeding then all that is needed is frequent watering. This only applies if the lawn is mostly free of weeds, if the yard has more weeds than grass it will need to be killed off and the lawn will need to be re-installed.