1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Overseeding before Spirng

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MOTES, Jan 25, 2008.

1. MOTES

MOTES LawnSite Member

I own 5 acre lot and all is grass. But there's quite of bare spots where just soil is showing and also alot of places have crabgrass- which is brown or dead right now. My Question is can i just put seed down before spring, and it then later grow on the bare spots? And the Crabgrass, if i put down enough seed over the crabgrass, would the grass take over later or would i difinely have to put down crabgrass control? The Lot itself have good soil, so i'm hoping that i don't have to break up the dirt to overseed, but if i have to, please let me know. The first time, i put down Kentucky 31, but didn't put down enough or drought season. It's does look good standing away but looking down doesn't. Any Question, comments, or respond would GREATLY appreicate.

2. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

You have to do one or the other the crab grass is an annual that comes back from seed. The control stops the seed from germinating so it will stop the good grass seed it takes 6 months before you can put seed down
  3. MOTES

MOTES LawnSite Member

I planning on not worrying about the crabgrass.....If i just put down the seed, will my outcome be all right?
  4. RGM

Male, from Baltimore Md

over seeding is not going to hurt anything it will fill in bare or thin areas try that keep the grass short it will help with all weed control. Try to bag in the crab grass area maybe pick up some of the seed it puts out
  5. MOTES

MOTES LawnSite Member

Ok, I'll think I do that, but when overseeding, I don't have to run anything to break up dirt for the seed?
  6. RGM

Male, from Baltimore Md

Its good to use a over seeder that slices then ground a bit as you seed but they can tear the grass up a bit too. I like to try an aerate the lawn every 3 years if soil is compacted too much.
  7. grassman2001

grassman2001 LawnSite Member

You are asking this at a good time. Late Feb. early March is a good time to seed around here. Just want to make sure you rake the area to give good seed to soil contact. I would reccmend using a variety of turf type tall fescue around here. Can find at most garden centers or feed stores. After the grass is up and germinating then put down a pre-emergent after you have mowed the new grass three or four times. SO hopefully you are putting downt the pre-m around 1st week of May. FYI you will probably still have some crabgrass breakthrough
  8. brizz

brizz LawnSite Member

Okay I want to address the crabgrass issue with you. If you have Bluegrass ass you say, Make sure you let the grass grow to a natural height... say 4 to 5 inches. This will shade the crabgrass more than if you were to cut to a height of say 2 inches. Crabgrass only strives in the sunlight. Otherwise lay down some pre emergent early and that will help you keep it under control.
  9. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

I put some grass down in December. I was told that the freezing and thawing should help the seed to work into the soil. Makes sense to me.

As for the crabgrass, I plan on using Dimension as it is a pre and post emergent. Therefore you can wait a bit longer to apply and it should still be effective. I agree with the others that you will probably still have some breakthrough. I plan on picking up some Drive to help prevent a crabgrass take-over.
  10. casolorz

casolorz LawnSite Member
    from 67207

Last year I used some sort of weed/crab grass preventer that still allowed you to put down the grass seed, it was expensive but it worked. I was only able to find it at lowes for a couple of weeks and then it was gone.