Overseeding Bermuda and St. Augustine Lawns with Fescue in the Fall.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by l3randonf, Jun 15, 2011.

1. l3randonf

l3randonf LawnSite Member

I have done some reading and come to the conclusion that if I want to drop fescue seeds into a bermuda or st augustine lawn here in the state of Texas, that I should do it in the fall when the temps are about 75 degrees or so.

My question is... should I bag the entire yard when I mow it right before seeding to allow the seeds a better chance to make it to the soil?

Any other things I should do to ensure proper growth? Anything I should do differently when seeding into a bermuda lawn vs seeding into a st augustine lawn?

Thanks for all insights.

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Wouldn't you rather use an annual rye in the fall for green throughout the winter and then it will die out when temps are more favorable to SA and Bermuda.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. l3randonf

ok yea the rye sounds like a better plan.

Anything I need to do to the bermuda/st augustine lawns right before I seed other than bag the last mow?

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Nope. You could sow annual rye onto asphalt and it would grow. I hate that stuff with a passion. It's okay as long as you don't mind a neon green lawn. Tractor Supply sells a grass mixture that is 60% tall fescues and 40% annual rye. I tried that on one customer's lawn and we were both very happy with the results.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You got to strip it down almost to the dirt to get a perfect stand of rye. Don't even think about bagging just lower the machine a notch at a time and throw it towards the center into a big row. Then bag and maybe use a bagger to finish the final clean-up. Now....most cites are passing laws to prevent this overseeding because it uses a lot of water and they want water off in winter. And in our area you can't water but two days a week so rye don't come up very well unti around November.

6. l3randonf

I am not understanding what you are saying here. Please explain in a noob friendly way. Thanks for your time.

7. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

What type of St Augustine are you talking about?

8. l3randonf

I'm not sure which kind of SA it is. Do you treat the various strains differently?

9. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

We do here. I have never heard of over seeding SA but our winters are probably a lot more milder here than compared to TX. This probably allows us to have green lawns 365 depending on the verity of grass. Which would be pointless to over seed. I over seed Bermuda lawns with the rye.

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Given our winters have gotten a little cooler here in Tampa . Most of the SA yards went dormant brown. I tried a rye overseed on a few SA yards and it performed the same as on Bermuda. Green all winter and it died out about April. With the SA, Atrazine will kill of any rye that may survive.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011