1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

overseeding bermuda?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by rover, May 26, 2005.

1. rover

rover LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I am overseeding bermuda and have already plug aerated? I am thinking about spike aerating before and after allowing the seed to be pushed into the soil. Would a de-thatcher work the same or better than a spike aerator for this purpose? Your help is appreciated.

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

What grass type are you overseeding with? Just putting down more bermuda seed or another variety?

3. rover

rover LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Sorry I forgot to mention. I am overseeding an existing lawn with only a few patches of bermuda. I don't know what kind of grass it is; a mixture of weeds and grass with some browing and thinning areas. If at all possible, I don't want to kill the existing grass. Most of it still looks OK. Another question, is it too late to overseed with Lesco transition fescue or do I need to wait until Fall?

4. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

You're overseeding in Alabama in June?You gotta be kidding.I'm hoping you're not in business,but only seeding your own lawn.

5. rover

rover LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Yes, I'm overseeding Bermuda. It is a warm season grass best planted in late spring or early summer. I'm not overseeding any cool season grasses, just Bermuda.

6. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Well if he is overseeding with Bermuda it is fine. I advise my customers NOT to seed until it gets in the 80 degree range when using Bermuda. I can put out some Bermuda seed in July and as long as its kept watered for a week or so, have a carpet of grass within two weeks.......I did this to my yard when I first bought the house and still have the best looking lawn on the block....

No, I am not the least bit conceited..... :cool2:

7. NickN

from Alabama

ok,you're seeding with bermuda.Good,but you were asking about Lesco fescue.Also,you're wasting your time.Bermuda can't be overseeded using the method you describe.Won't germinate from being planted too deep.

8. NickN

from Alabama

rover,are you able to receive private messages?

9. rover

rover LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Hey, NickN, I can't receive private messages. What's your thoughts on the best way to get the Bermuda seed to germinate?

10. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Water, water, water, water......did I say water?

That and keep the traffic off of it as much as possible until it comes in....shouldn't take long.