Overseeding by Aeration, Germination??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by sfr4dr, Mar 26, 2008.

1. sfr4dr

sfr4dr LawnSite Member

The lawn I need to over-seed was planted last fall. It is consistently thin all over. The soil isn't too compacted. I sprayed for weeds a few weeks back and it killed most of them along with some of the weaker grass. I have called around and cannot find a power seeder to rent. Any ideas? How much success would I have by aerating, casting seed, and rolling it in? Also would mulch mowing afterwards be a good way to hold some moisture around the new seeds between watering? I would also apply a starter fertilizer. I hate to delay over-seeding until fall but maybe that's best. We do have a few more months of moderate weather so seeds should germinate well if I do it now. This is all new to me so I didn't apply pre-emergent in time to keep the weeds down. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i had a guy i know live in modesto, interesting place there, lots of fruit and nuts trees around . i visited him a few years back, he is now in the custody of the feds!! not good! anyways, aerate and overseed is great, no need to roll in it, but verticutting would be better if it is too thin. start fert and water water water. if you have to aerate, really plug the heck out of it to increase the number of holes per sq ft to increase the number of planting holes for new turf.

3. sfr4dr

sfr4dr LawnSite Member

The feds hug?! Damn.

Well, I think that's pretty much the plan then. After posting I searched all over the net and came up with the same conclusions. I still haven't been able to find a slit seeder to rent. All the places just have machines with spring tines and I think that would just scratch the surface. It's been 3 weeks since I did the broad leaf spray so maybe I'll do everything this weekend!

4. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Here is the deal. When you seed over aeration you are betting on the seeds getting into the holes. The holes are an ideal place for germination. We did a study years back on this topic had great results. Now to the problem is getting enough holes and getting the seed into them. We used little green irishmen, got them real cheap ( just joking )
    The more holes the better 14 to 20 per sq. ft. depending on the seed you are using. Fescue will just give you one plant per seed but blue and some others will spread later.
    Aerate the zip out of the lawn and spread your seed while the cores are drying a little then drag the lawn with a piece of chain link fence or a keystone mat if you can get one. This will break up the cores some and help the seed into the holes and low spots. I have done it a number of times and works well.

5. snowman 2008

snowman 2008 LawnSite Member
    from on.

What is keystone mat?