Overseeding & CGM

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by greenhelpinghand, Jul 22, 2008.

1. greenhelpinghand

greenhelpinghand LawnSite Member

I'm just starting out using organic methods for my lawn care business. Is it best to overseed in the fall and then put CGM on in the spring for a pre-emergent? Or, do I apply CGM in fall then overseed in the spring?

Thanks

2. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Best to seed in fall!

3. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

whatever you do keep them seperate. Fall is the time to seed. You should be able to start your CGM again in spring. Just want the seeds to have time to germinate and grow before the pre-m hits it.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

The time to seed is when soil temperatures are optimal for germination of the seed your attempting to sow. When that occurs obviously varies, but fall is usually the best due to lower disease pressure.

5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree fall is the best time

We are seeing a lot of interest in a seeding program that used to be used often in the past, pre-germination. You can kick that program up a notch by doing the pregermination with a seed inoculum. I noticed Pennington has come out with Myco-Seed, a mycorrhizae inoclum

On seeds that take a long time to germinate (KBG) this is especially effective, BAM instant lawn (well 3 or 4 days). The microorganisms stay with the plant as it grows, if we can get the root populated with good guys before it even starts growing in the soil we should see great germination, long term health and growth.

6. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like $$$$$$, kind of both ways, expensive to buy and expensive to put down.