overseeding, every year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 13, 2002.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

just wondering how many do overseeding as part of a standard maint program. two of my newer clients lawns didnt handle the summer very well. they requested repair work. i thatched and powerseeded, and added the extra service to their monthly fee. i almost sh*t when they both called and said there was a mistake on thier bill. they said all the other services they used did fall seeding as part of the package, y am i charging? i explained that, in their contract, it explains in detail what we provided under "full service". does anyone include overseeding as part of a contract, and do u overseed every fall, and why? to anticipate the need for seedind every fall, is to anticipate the maint program is going to fail, right?
  2. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Well, first, when I give a quote on a maintenance contract, unless it is requested or stipulated in the begining, that additional services are to be performed ... the bid/contract is just for regular weekly mow, trim/edge, and blow. I do try to encourage aerations every September not only to encourage new and invigorated growth in the lawn, but in my pocket as well. It usually is done in conjunction with the Sept. fert app and if you are doing aeration and fert., what the hell, you might as well throw down seed too, it isn't going to hurt. But, this is all extras for all of my customers ... it is not included in the original figure and most of them know that, and if they don't, I remind them that "whatever it comes to, will be added to their next bill".
    I have heard of spot seeding at no charge in the spring for those on Fert. contracts, but not full overseeds in the Fall on Maintenance contracts. That should be done in conjunction with aeration and/or sliceseeding or thatching and is definately not a freebie.
    I fthis was stated in the contract that they signed in the beginning, then you must diplomatically tell them that it is unfortunate that they didn't read or fully comprehend the contract that they signed, but now seeing as the work has been completed, it is being charged accordingly.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't worry too much over it. I assume from the text that this was your 1st year on this contract right? After one year of service you can tell more about the needs of the property. But if it's not irrigated and the whole 9, it's hard to judge from one year to the next at best.

It is the time of year that I'm thinking of how I'll do contracts for next season. This issue has been somewhat of a thorn in my side as well. I'm thinking of tacking on a certain rate per 1,000 sq ft of fall seeding per account. Then I know it will atlest get some seeding and I can approach the customer if I feel "extra" rates of seed need to be applied and get an "extra" check for it.
  4. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

When you do a contract, and put what services you will do on it, Also put what services are extra, I put the main things that they might think are included, but are not.
  5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like someone got them locked in a marketing loop hole. They must have added it in without the customer even knowing it, at first. Then the LCO came out and did the seeding, or not, and now your customers feel you are not providing them a service by not having it in the total per year?

I always tell mine (and you probably do to) what is the normal maintenance services provided each week. Also if they wish I can add these other extras at spring or fall. So its an option the customer has, not just simply added in regardless. Sounds like the other guy was trying to be slick and slide it in or something.

Dont worry about it. When they do see how your seeding has made their lawns look so much better than the other guy, they will never question paying extra and it not just being in the total yearly contract price.
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby, If the customer is saying the service before you came into the picture used to over seeding each fall then they must have been charging more then you currently are. As you know to over seed that takes time and materials. I can't believe that someone would give these away to get the contract. You must also remember that the customer dropped them and went with you. Don't let it get you down.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

o no, its not getting me down, nor is it a problem. my real question was: do u guys do fall seeding, as part of the maint pkg? mine consist of: spring and fall cleanup, weekly cuts(that end oct 15) and the fert program(6 apps). i dont automatically include overseeding, though apparently, some do
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Overseeding (anytime of the year for that matter) is not part of our regular maintenace package...that is definitely EXTRA Bobby.
  9. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

The key phrase from your original post is-

"they requested repair work"

If they thought that seeding was included why would they "request" it. I think they are trying to get something for nothing.

10. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

no way is it included. that would be quite an expensive contract for the homeowner. heck, i'd love it if all of my props got overseeding every year if they'd pay. but who would if it's not needed?

obviously you did not inform them of a price before going ahead, causing the prob. you gotta let everyone know who calls that $ talks.

a couple people wrote don't worry about it, i don't know if they meant don't try and get your money. i would say get your money. break the expectation of free now, or deal with it again next fall. you did the work, get payment.