Overseeding For Monthly Customers

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Kingram10, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Kingram10

Kingram10 LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

Do you Guys Include Overseeding and Everything that Goes With it(Verticutting,Aereation,Starter Fertilizer and Seed Cover)in your Monthly Charge or do you Charge Extra.

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends some want a full service and some just want there grass cut with no pains.

3. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

When you first meet them, talk to them, ask them about seasonal changes and what THEY want.... if they tell you then, QUOTE for it to be included in their monthly price. If they say they don't want it and then change their minds later, you can say that it's not in the contract and it's $??.?? extra!

Charge it to'em. Trust me, if all of our customers had the chance, they would charge us for anything they could!

When you drive thru McDonalds, you don't bargain with the order lady/dude...do you?:confused:

4. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

You better be ready to work with full property services it takes a lot of time,when your cutting a lot of grass also thru the week.

5. EvandSeby

EvandSeby LawnSite Member

I include overseeding with my monthly price.In the past I have done it also by charging per square foot of turf (5 to 9 cents) and then waiting for three weeks for my next per cut visit. My total net for Oct. was about the same, but the real difference is the year around mowing that it provides. I usually include an informational note each month with my invoices, and remind them that I am doing this for no extra charge, and most people are happy about that. It really gives them no reason not to overseed. Some people question the water usage to germinate the seed and are concerned about extra water .I usually explain that two weeks of increased usage and 2 days a week after establishment is substantially less than their usage in the summer. Although verticutting and aeration are beneficial, they usually not part of the fall overseeding process in AZ

6. Kingram10

Kingram10 LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

So you dont Verticut for Rye and the Grass Grows fine? Do you just cut the grass down to about 1/2 inch and do you use a seed cover? Do use Starter Fertilizer?
    And do you then Verticut in the spring? Sounds good to me not having to Verticut.

7. EvandSeby

EvandSeby LawnSite Member

Many people use power raking (flail blades), and verticutting (fixed disc) as the same thing. The time to power rake or verticut as it is called, is in the middle of summer when the grass has a chance to recover right away. Power raking as part of the overseeding process will result in a slower transition next spring. I do use starter fertilizer when I put down the seed. Most important is the second fertilization (around Thanksgiving) to make the rye-grass strong before the first frost.