overseeding guarantee

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by cnymowing, Apr 15, 2007.

1. cnymowing

cnymowing LawnSite Member

I was going door to door yesterday like I usually do at this time of year, and at one of the houses, the guy that answered the door asked about overseeding, so I explaned it... then he asked if I offer a guarantee with it.

I have never done this before, becaues of all the factors involved with the seed taking root... the customer watering, the weather,etc.

So I just want to know if anyone does offer a guarantee, and how long it is good for. Thanks!
  2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I offer a guarantee but I also give them specific instructions on watering and care. I tell them I can stop by at any time in the next month to check up on them and test the ground to see if its getting adequate water.

If they are doing what they are supposed and still have some bare or thin spots I will come back in the spring and overseed at my cost.
  3. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

real hard to gurantee anthing like overseeding and even sod if they don't have automated irrigation. you're only 1/3 of the equation, ma nature and the client being the one's who carry the hardest parts. i'm not the home depot, and i can't afford to guarantee some plants going to make it after i leave the site. i tell people, that i know what i'm doing and send them to jobs i've done, even my house (for reference purposes) and they'll see plants/lawns thriving.... because those people followed my directions.

just be straight with them, give em ref's and say if you follow my instructions, you'll get success if not you won't. if you're honest and do good work, you shouldn't need a guarantee. people want a fail safe in case they get lazy, i don't oblige. but hey i'm a stubborn, arrogant a-hole-just ask my wife- and she LOVES me....
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

No seeding guarantee. Who has time to keep spot checking to see if the customer is watering. This one time, Matt did a front lawn renovation. Gave written instructions that outlined specifically what she was to do/when to water, etc..... Because Matt was doing the renovation, a neighbor across the street saw Matt and signed up for our service, weekly cutting etc. So a week later, Matt was at the neighbors house cutting the lawn, when he happened to look across the street to see if any grass was sprouting. Here the lady was using one of those cheap sprinkler things, hard to explain, but it had like 3 heads on it, and it was literally puddling the soil bad in this one area, and the water/mud was just running down the driveway. 2 corners of the lot had received no water at all it looked, because the soil was actually cracking. Matt had to go to her door and tell her that she wasn't watering correctly, and how come some of the front lawn wasn't getting any water all. She says, "the hose won't reach that far." ya, no thanks, customers don't know how to water, no matter how much you explain it to them. Once the seed is planted, they are on their own, and they are told that.
  5. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

If we include a temporary automatic sprinkler system with the lawn seeding we will guarantee it until the sprinklers are removed. If the customer takes the responsibility to water there is no guarantee.
  6. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

I supply hose and sprinklers , no guarantee,
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I offer no guarantee on overseeding ever.
  8. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

When I do winter overseed here in TX, I only guarantee the stated germination rate that is on the bag. We make no guarantee, implied or expressed that you will have a successful winter lawn. I think that is the least and most you should offer the customer. Same with sod. We guarantee that the sod is healthy at the time of install, but that is it.
  9. cnymowing

cnymowing LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I like the idea of giving the customer written instructions for the watering of the lawn.