Overseeding - How much $$$

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ERICKS, Jul 18, 2001.

1. ERICKS

ERICKS LawnSite Member

Can you folks help me determine what the going price is for overseeding fescue w/ fescue?? I have a guy shooting me an opportunity to pick up some business this fall. I'm located in Kansas.

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you slit seeding, core aerating & broadcast seeding or core aerating & slit seeding.? How much are you paying for seed? Are you putting down any starter fertilizer? ED

3. ERICKS

ERICKS LawnSite Member

I expect to be core aerating & slit seeding. I expect seed cost to be about $0.90/lb and rates to be 6-8#'s.

4. EJK2352

I would charge $40-$50 per 1000 square foot. ED

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

:confused: :eek: :confused: :eek:
    $50 per 1000????? A 10,000 sf lawn would be $500.00, are you serious?

Around here the going rate for aeration and overseeding is $24-26 per k with some discounts for larger lawns.

6. EJK2352

Yes I'm serious!!! Kirby you would only charge say $50 to do 2k.
    Come on up here & I'll sub you out to do all my overseeding work. ED

7. KirbysLawn

A small 2k lawn would be done in minutes, my machine covers appx. 483 sf per minute running full. Seed applied at 6 pounds per k would cost you $12.00 and fertilizer would be about $2.22, total expenses in materials is $14.22, charge $50.00= $35.78 profit for very little work over a few minutes.

Now, I do not have any 2k lawns, most are 12,000 - 43,000 sf. For the smaller 12,000 lawn I would charge $288.00, my expence is $72.00 for 72 pounds of seed, $13 fert and my profit fo this lawn is about $203.00 for this job!

Am I to understand you would charge $600.00, have the same $85.00 in supplies and you walk away with $515.00 profit for a small one hour lawn?

When I sell aera-vation service I charge $40-45 per k but that is a better, more through servicewith larger overhead. If you are getting that great, you must have some very uninformed customers who love wasting their money.

I'm all for a fair profit, but $515 for an hours work is the largest profit ratio for aeration and overseeding I have EVER heard of. :confused:

8. EJK2352

Kirby,
    I don't see any allowance for fuel, equipment costs , insurance, labor, etc. etc in your senario ??? Why are you only charging a $1 per lb. for seed when it costs you $1 per lb. ? You did have to go pick it up didn't you? Fert for $13 ? Lesco 18-24-12 starter fert. costs me $13 per bag. You did have to buy your equipment right? And I will spend a little more time than 1 hr. aerating, fertilizing & slit seeding on a 12,000 sq. ft. lawn. ED

9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We have been signing contracts for this service to be performed this fall. Our prices have ranged from $25 to $31 per/m sf.

For the 12m/sf sized lawns we are getting $378. $174 for the machine and an additional $204 for materials. (seed$144-fert$30-lime$30)

I have seen competitors placing quotes as high as $46/m sf. ($40-for machine $6-seed.)

Kris

10. KirbysLawn

First, I said the seed cost me $1.00 per pound, I charge $2.00 per pound.

Second, I missed where he said he would be slit seeding also, so you would be correct in the charges. I was pricing for just aeration and overseeding. I do not slit seed fescue, if a lawn is so thin that it needs both services I simply aera-vate and get much better results. Since fescue grows up and does not spread out, I think thin lawns that are slit seeded and the grass grows in rows looks bad. When I area-vate I charge the same rate as you, however it is a much less labor intensive job with truely impressive results.

Thanks.