Overseeding in central MN

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by tyler84, Sep 30, 2009.

1. tyler84

tyler84 LawnSite Member

I slit seeded my lawn last week with a Fescue mix. Now this week temperatures have dropped to around 60 during the day and upper 30's at night. Next week it's suppose to warm up, did I wait too long to overseed?

Thank you!

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

As long as soil temps are in the 55-65 F range you should be fine.

3. tyler84

tyler84 LawnSite Member

I found a map online of soil temps and it looks like we are between 50-55. I checked the forecast and it doesn't appear that it's going to be warming up much in the next week or so. If I don't have any luck with it this fall should I overseed again in the spring or hope that the existing seed will germinate?

Thank you!

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You are right on the borderline of acceptable germination temps. Fescue will germinate at lower temps, but your % germination will decrease. I will generally throw out some seed in the spring just for good measure without doing anything special. If the lawn is still thin, then you might want to do a full over seed again in the spring (i.e. with a compost top dress) and the following fall. Basically keep over seeding until you get the lawn nice and thick ... and over seed on a regular basis to keep it that way.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I did a lawn renovation last week as well - 5k sq ft with a KBG/Fescue/Rye mix. I am not worried about it at all germinating. The most important thing is the seeding was done just before a couple days nice rainfall, with more on the way. No freezing temps yet NOR forecast for the next 7 days. Grow grass, grow!

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

One thing I just thought of. Keep in mind grass seed is generally surface sown or just below the surface. Temps at that depth would probably be warmer than than, say, several inches down in the soil. Though that will change as colder weather sets in.

7. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

We rolled the dice on a couple lawns .I hate seeding right now .I like to wait for a few good frosts and cooler soil temps to dormant seed .If its a crappy lawn I pre fer to use a mix with 10% or so annual rye , at the least they may get a little ground cover and fesue seems overwinter the best .The good thing is boss will never be broke because he will have outstanding billings till some customer see good viable grass in late spring.Like Dougla McAuthor said in the Phillipines .

8. tyler84

tyler84 LawnSite Member

Tonight we are suppose to have a low of 29, so I'm guessing the chances of anymore seed germinating this fall are over.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

tyler - yep we are going to have a string of a few nasty cold days/nights in a row unfortunately. I would say your good seeding days are over this season, except for dormant seeding which you wouldn't want to do for a while.

Update - I had some seedings I did around Sept 22 and they are sprouting, probably the rye and fescue.

10. tyler84

tyler84 LawnSite Member

From what I can tell I have some seeds that germinated. Should I try slit seeding again in the spring or just apply pre emergent and try again in the fall?

Thank you for your help!