overseeding in march in connecticut

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by wpines, Mar 10, 2006.

1. wpines

wpines LawnSite Member

I'd like to dormant seed now in zone 5 connecticut to get a jump on spring seeding. I know the success rate won't be as good as fall seeding but whaddaya think the success rate for germination will be?

2. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

the rate of germination will be fine if your really worried go a little heavier on the seed but you really don't have to ... just make sure you water...we have put lawns in when it was 95 out and they came up fine..

3. wpines

wpines LawnSite Member

I've never done any dormant seeding before and I know back in the cold weather would have been a better time to seed to take advantage of the frost action in the soil. I know that it won't germinate until soil temp is 50 or so so I suspect the sunny areas will come up first. Are they the ones that are most suseptible to frost kill? Do shady areas survive better when dormant seeding?
    Does one type of seed do better than others in dormant seeding? I'll be using Lesco double eagle Rye which is quick germinating. How about shade mixture which is longer germinating fescues?