1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Overseeding Job for Moron customer

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by corey4671, Oct 29, 2008.

1. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

One of my regulars calls me up and says they want to overseed. Fine. Shoot them a price for core aeration and seeding. Picked a day last week when rain was in te forecast for a couiple days later. I tell the customer that the rain will help, but that they need to keep the soil damp to aid in germination. They say fine. Fine. I tried to call yesterday to check and see that they were watering but got no answer. Called again this morning and the husband answered. I asked if they were watering....no...they have been in Florida all week and won't be back until Saturday. :hammerhead: Rain is in the forecast the middle of next week but this yard needs water. What should I do....There is no irrigation in place either.
  2. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I would wait for them to come home and water their lawn and also sell them an irrigation system, you did your part now its time they do theirs.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I offer no warranty on grass seed for this exact reason. I can only do the work, I can't make the customer do anything except pay (hopefully).
  4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I tell them that I can't guarantee the seed will grow as water is the key ingredient and I'm not the person putting the water down. I also tell them to cover the entire lawn, not just a spot where they put a sprinkler at and turn it on. It has to be moved constantly to cover all the soil or seeded area.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would be so stupid as to suggest waiting until after it rains,
    then again that probably makes too much sense.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2008

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

its their job to water not yours
  7. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I did an overseeding job, took me quite a while and they wont keep it watered no matter how many times i tell them. It didn't grow. Kinda made me mad
  8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I quit overseeding for that reason. I just got tired of all the work Id do and then come back later to find a dry dusty yard. Then they would act like I did something wrong... Just not worth it to me.
  9. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

I actually charge a extra and buy a timer for their sprinklers if they don't have irrigation systems. If the yard is large and the sprinklers have to be moved, I charge extra and go move the sprinklers for them. People are absolute morons when it comes to watering and I have found it is easier to charge them and take care of the watering for them so I come out looking like I know what I'm doing when I overseed.
  10. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I told them that as well...this is just under an acre and a half of turf so it would have to be moved. These people...the wife especially drive me nuts. She has a champaign taste with a Pabst Blue Ribbon budget.

I actually thought about offering to go buy some sprinklers...they don't own any..and have them pay me for them and to go and water the freakin yard....I put down enough seed that IF it will take root...they'll have a nice yard!