Overseeding Lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by zemzabob, May 31, 2008.

1. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

I was just needing some advice on overseeding my lawn this year, I have about an acre and live in central KY. Needs to have some new growth and be a lot thicker then it is now. What do I need to do exactly and when should I do it a step by step would be great. If anyone knows about what it would cost to DIY or have someone did it for me that would also be great. I had scott's do it last year and it helped a little but not much, they just aerated and put down seed thats it no raking nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darrell

Oh and everyone that helped me on the new mower choice thanks again I think I'm going with the Hustler Fastrak SD 52"

2. zemzabob

And what month do I do all of this in?

3. zemzabob

Really you don't say lol

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I used to hang out in Richmond Ky several years ago. I attended Morehead State and had some friends from Eastern.

I have found that with the more then avg rainfall this year, and a good fert program most lawns are thickening up very well.

I am not big on core/seeding at all. I do it some but slice seeding is definitly the best way to go.

Keep the fert to it this spring, and wait and see what it looks like in the fall.

If your areas are larger then a baseball then you will probably need some seeding.

The best time to seed of course is in the fall (late Aug to late Sept).

I do a lot of seeding here in OH. Actually the unit in my Avatar is what I use. PM me if you need any info.

5. zemzabob

Hey thanks I will probably be talking to you around the time to seed. Keeping the fert going is working but it is time to seed this year I think, I just went that real lush thick look. and I have lived here for about 8 1/2 years now and love it here,

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

What is the grass in your lawn currently?

Do you have any pics of your lawn you can post?

Don't hesitate to PM me if you ever have any questions.

7. zemzabob

I think it is KY blue grass not sure if it is a mix or not but I will get some pics on as soon as I can for you to see. Thanks for being so helpful I really appreciate it I'm trying to learn as much as I can on here, I want to have a great lawn and love doing the work myself just need the know how lol. Oh there are some pics of the yard on one of my other post do a search for "The best ZRT for under 7k" there are some pics on there no close ups but they may help till I can get some up.