Overseeding Price

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by colonel landscaping, Apr 22, 2003.

1. colonel landscaping

colonel landscaping LawnSite Member

i am new to seeding lawns and a lady called me up today and said she wanted an estimate.. well i came on here and did some searching.. for prices about that and she has an ok lawn but used to have a nice fully grown in green lawn and aboused it and now is almost dirt and she wants the whole this overseeded .. she needs fert.. seed... LIME alot of it **** load of moss and it's about a 12,000 sq ft area i gave her a rough estimate of $1,400 .. does that sound about right?
  2. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

I would charge somewhere between 100$ and 10,000$
  3. colonel landscaping

hmmmm $10,000payup payup payup :D ...seriously i am fairly new to the biz and i would like some input
  4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you going to just seed with a spreader?
    Are you going to core aerate first ?
    You could also core aerate, then slit seed the lawn, slit seeding is a lot more money, but a lot more work, this method would give you the best seed to soil contact..
    Yes there is a lot of moss, but you need a soil test to determine how much lime is needed per thousand square foot. With the results of the soil test, you put down lime per thousand square feet, and if it needs a lot, then multiple applications will be needed, so many number of pounds of lime per 1000 square feet each time.. The soil test will tell you how much nuterients are needed also. You must apply starter at a certain amount per thousand square feet. That is on the label.
    This job could get you some nice money, but it would need to be done right.
  5. colonel landscaping

yes im getting soil samples taken soon and i will be slicing it in the ground.. i'll be renting an overseeder.. this lady wants to have high quality turf cause she has a party begnning of june.. i was like lady your crazy ! but yeah i think its gonna be around 1,400..
  6. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

A party in June and she wants to seed??? Your price is awesome if you can get it, but you may run into a serious problem with improper expectations. That grass seed if it went in the ground today, may be about an inch tall in a month, and sure isnt going to be filling in any bare areas. I always tell seeding clients that when they look at sod, they have to realize that that sod is 18 months old and has been growing under ideal circumstances so they can get it to market.

If shes looking to impress people and have a lawn by June sod is the only option, and even with that it will take 3 to 4 weeks to become established enough to allow you to mow it. You better clarify in her mind what is possible or you may end up getting an earful cause her lawn doesnt look like a golf course in by June.

7. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

damn 1400 shoot I usually charge around 150 to 300 to overseed.

LAWNPROzII LawnSite Member

Taussig you only charge that much because you are a scrub and you are one of those people that drive prices down, pricing 12,000sq. ft. at $150 to $300 is ridiculous.
  9. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I charge 28$ per k .Seed areate fert i would put 10lbs per k seed 1 bag 16k fert have about 90.00 in materials .Lime depends on the out come of the soil test.1400.00 sounds crazy to me .but if you can get it go for it .
  10. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

Lawn Proz
    I never realized what people charged for overseeding I started this business on my own with no help I am 18 and do a good job and work hard and you go off calling me a scub because I only charge that much to overseed I had no clue what people charged to do that so I look at how long it will take me and my expenses and I make easily 50-75$ an hour profit. I read all the lawn and landscape magazines and I research everything I do but it never tells me how much to charge. Oh yah and why don't you get a trailer that acctually fits your equipment huh thats what I thought lol(the only good come back I could think of) I think you are going to conclusions way to fast how much do you charge to overseed if I knew what was the going rate I would definatly go for it. I was charging around that because one of my customers had blueville do theirs once and they charged $300 so are they scrubs to. I am not a scrub at all in my opinion I am growing in the landscaping part and also in the mowing part to. I got several commercial accounts and I am doing the landscape of fairfield inn.