Overseeding prices?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robert payer, Sep 6, 2002.

1. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

I will be overseeding for a customer. I hope that some price advice could be given. Looking for a price per 1000 Sq. Ft.

Did a long search found only on figure. I do not want to influence your opinions at this time. The number found will be shared soon.
    Thank You

Work to be done:
    Kill off existing lawn (Roundup or Finale)

Dethatch two ways (Do not own slit seeder) Have a dethatcher.

Do I really need to pick up thatch debris brought to the surface if it is not extremely heavy?

Seed area (seed cost 2.00 Lbs)

Fertilize

What do you think the cost per 1000 Sq. Ft. should be priced?

2. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

How big of area do you need to overseed? If size was worth it, I'd kill it, remove it with a sod cutter and then re-seed. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

3. robert payer

Turf Guy,

Square Feet =17,775

4. lawnmowerman29

lawnmowerman29 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Why do you need to kill off the lawn? Is it that infested with weeds? If you do not have a powered overseeder, i would look into renting one. Take the cost of renting, cost of seed, fert, r-up, and figure your labor. I own my own ryan overseeder and i charge anywhere between 20 and 60$ per 1,000 sq. ft with at least a 75$ min.

5. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

cost of your seed is 2.00 a pound?

6. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

That's expensive seed. What is it? I can get Lesco transition for under $50--50 lb bag, starter fert for $10.

7. robert payer

In response to every ones help, lawn is beeing killed in an attempt to also remove undesirable grasses. As far as the seed, I was considering using crossfire2. This seed is a pettite turf tall fescue. Less mowing, more drought resistant and better Summer color. Both radio gardeners in this area have recomendeded it.
    I look forward to every ones thoughts.

Can pulled up thatch be left on surface as mulch for the new seed?

Thanks folks!

8. Doh!

Doh! LawnSite Member

i dont want to steer this post away from pricing but i did want some opinions on aerating then seeding. if i aerate for an overseed, do i need to powerseed or can i just broadcast with starter fert?

btw if i was going to dethatch i would remove all that and use straw instead over the new seed.

when pricing my jobs, I also keep in mind that I will be missing out on my usual income for mowing until the new lawn is ready.

I've had many requests for aerating and i'm trying to bump up the sale price by adding overseeding to the service. any input is appreciated.

9. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

To Round up a lawn, the price can range between 1 -2 cents per sq.ft.
    Dethatching, usually runs about 2 cents per sq.ft. for single pass including clean-up and removal.
    I normally charge 1 cent per sq.ft. for fertilizer.
    For seed, I usually pay between $1.00 and $1.35 per pound and charge $3 a pound spread. For just overseeding an existing lawn, I normally use about 7-8 pounds per thousand, and 12-15 for new installation. For aprox. 18 k sq.ft. you can use about 250 pounds of seed. That is just a guesstimate, not knowing what that particular variety of fescue's recommended per pound seeding rate is. Plus you are paying at least 50% more than I do for the product. But if you are using similar numbers to what I described, and the seed will cost you about $500, I would charge $800 with mark-up and labor for the seed alone.
    In my opinion, yes, you can leave a light layer of loosened thatch to help shade and keep the seed moist. I do this and have not had any problems, but I know that are probably many on this site that would disagree.
    Finally, it has been mentioned that aeration might be a good option to include ... I personally do not do any seeding or renovation work unless the customer will go for the aeration process as well ... it just plain makes sense and usually only costs another 1 - 1.5 cents per sq.ft.
    I would quote a price in the area of about $1,800 to do that job, considering all the work that is involved. That would be fair for you, and compared to a sod job, fair for your customer also.