overseeding problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by muddstopper, Sep 27, 2003.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I have a customer that over fertilized their lawn in june and their lawn started dieing off in a couple of days. Thinking about overseeding using a areo-vator or might just redoe completely. The problem I am having concerns the soil test. Soil testcalls for 118lbs lime per 1000sqft and the phosphorous levels are high off the top of the scale. Nitrogen 4 lbs and potash at 2 lbs per 1000sqft. I plan on putting 50 lbs lime per 1000 when I seed but aint sure what to do about the phosphorus. Area is about 10,000 sqft. Would tilling soil help with the high phos levels. If so I will do a complete redo but, if not I will try the areo-vator and overseed. Any suggestions are apprecated.

2. muddstopper

anybody?

3. shm

shm LawnSite Member

if the lawn is in real bad shape....the best would be to rototill it and add some top soil and reseed.........if the lawn is in okay shape to overseed...i would lime it and seed it.....then wait until the spring to fert it again...see what the soil test brings and fert accordingly....if you want to fert before winter- get that seed down now with the lime...wait about a month and then put down your N and K....and wait on the P for the spring....make sure your your P levelks really are "off the chart" because if you do reseed it's best to get some P down with it

hope that helps

shm

4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I wouldnt put all your lime on at the same time. Put half on this fall and the other half in the spring

6. muddstopper

Sorry I havent replied, I posted this in the pesticide and fert. forum along with some additional info and have gotten some help. I appreciate everybodys suggestions