Overseeding question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by bderks, Mar 30, 2005.

1. bderks

bderks LawnSite Member

Hey guys. I live just south of Kansas City, and am I'm thinking about overseeding a few areas of my lawn that are a little thin. I know the best time to do this is in the fall, but will I still get good results in the spring? Also, would it be better to verti-cut or plug it beforehand? I'll be doing the work myself.

One more question - any recommendations for a good grass seed for this area? I have a little over an acre which is not irrigated, so I would like something that that will fare well during our hot dry periods during the summer. I appreciate the help!

Cheers,
    Brandon

2. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

You need to put down a bluegrass/fescue mix. We mow a lawn at 167th and Kenneth (South KC) and it holds up very well in the summer heat and is mainly blue grass. The thicker blades take in a lot of moisture. Keep it well fertilized and watered though. About your plugging or verticutting, I'm not sure, but I think verticutting would work better for this time of year. See what others say on that end because that is where I'm not positive. Good luck!

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have to agree. Or if you wanted to go cheaper you could go with K-31. I probably wouldn't plug right now...I think verticutting would be your best bet.

4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Wait for soil temps to reach 60-65 degrees. I would suggest a fescue blend like Lesco's transition blend. It has great drought resistance.

Spring seeding is fine if you can keep it alive during July. It will come in great, but the july heat can kill it fast. Don't apply any crabgrass control before or after seeding.