overseeding question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Sep 12, 2006.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i know most of you guys broadcast when overseeding, but for those who use a slit seeder do you go both directions or just one? what about small curb lanes?

i know when slit seeding a new lawn you go both ways, but going both ways doubles the time you are at an account. will it make that much of a difference if i take the full amount of seed and go one direction compared to half both ways?

2. sjj14

sjj14 LawnSite Member

Depends on the client. If you are looking to get the best result possible then 2 directions is the way to go. If you are just seeding to fill in some voids and improve the lawn a bit then 1 direction is fine. I always take the time to educate the home owner as to the differences between the two. If they truly want a nice lawn then they will be willing to pay for the extra time it takes to go two directions. If not then be upfront with them about the results they can expect from a single seeding in one direction.

3. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

I have an existing lawn that looks just as good as mine in my avatar. I just put down a fall ap of weed killer and planning on overseeding in 3-4 weeks and fert. I hate to tear up a good lawn but we just want to thicken the lawn up by overseeding with a broadcaster.

My question is, is there any since in cutting the lawn short and overseeding with a power seeder or slit seeder? I was thinking of after 3-4 weeks using my JRCO de-thatcher and overseeding, than go back over with the JRCO to work the seed in the soil and fertilize.

Any thoughts on this technique?

4. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Have you counted out dethatching then aerating and overseeding? If the lawn is thick and full then you really wouldnt need to powerseed.

5. David W

I see.

I was thinking of aerating first than dethatching to collect the plugs and also to get the surface scratched up and unwanted dead grass out of there. I usually engage the blades on the mower when dethatching.

This can usually leave a lush thick lawn a little thin but after a good rain and a little fert comes back looking good.

6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Aerate, then slit seed a straight pass at half seed rate, make another diagonal pass at half seed rate across the first pass. Leave the dead and weak grass the slit seeder might pull up for a mulching effect, at most rake up excess amounts of dead material, seed can get mixed with the top stuff. Starter fert, and then instruct customer to water it for a couple of days.

If the thatch layer is greater than 1/2 inch and de-thatching is warranted, then include de-thatching .

7. David W

Would you do this to an existing lush thick green lawn as well or one that is thin and needs it.

I'm trying to get a maintenance routine down for yards that are thick and awesome. What to do if any to a already existing lawn that is fine. Juse fert and aerate or what?

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

MrKosar,
    I just go over it twice with areas like that. I sometimes stagger the rows a bit and it works just fine.

DavidW,
    Actually, the right fert. and you wouldn't even need to overseed. Try a high potassium and see how thick the turf fills out and gets. It takes about 6 weeks to actually see the results, but so what. You get on a routine of this, and y0u can blow peoples' minds. The only time I really overseed is to either incorporate a different type of cultivar or when I have actual bare ground.

9. David W

Runner,

I'm currently using Lebanon Turf's Proscape Mesa 25-2-5 for my fall apps of fert. It is a slow-release and kept most yards green into December and THEY definetly were the firts in Spring to be green. Which high potassium fert do you recommend or use for this and when do fert with high Nitrogen levels? In the spring?

Thanks for the info by the way.