Overseeding Soil Conditions??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by abcfamily, May 12, 2008.

1. abcfamily

abcfamily LawnSite Member

I am wanting to do some over seeding (renting A bluebird). But we have had a few inches of rain over the last few days. What are the ideal conditions of the soil for overseeding? Wet, dry, moist. :confused:

Thanks for your Help!

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Moist is good, dry will make a ton of dust and wet will make clumps. I would say one day after a good rain would be the perfect time. I consider moist soils those of which are well drained and do not normally have standing water after a rain.

3. hickslawns

hickslawns LawnSite Member

Might be too late for overseeding in our area. I know it is cool and wet now, but you are looking at 30 days for bluegrass to germinate. That puts us in the middle of June. Could be very hot and dry by then if anything like last year. Might want to wait until fall.

4. cgaengineer

I didn't mention this as I was unsure of the times for planting in different states. Thanks for mentioning this.

5. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

If you are not making dust with your seeder it is too wet. Even damp can cause problems with the seed not getting to the ground. Best conditions are on the dry side so you are stirring up plenty of dirt to help cover the seed. Another point is when the thatch is wet the blades will just cut a narrow slice. Dry conditions tend to rip and make a bigger opening in the thatch for the seed to get to the soil. Seed left on top goes from being seed to becoming bird food.

6. cgaengineer

Dont know what kind of soils you have where you are, but around here you will wear out blades on hard packed clay trying to run a seeder when dry. Concrete comes to mind when I think of the soils around here, red concrete.