1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Overseeding-Whens a good time aerate and seed (New England Region)

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by FDambr123, Sep 7, 2010.

1. FDambr123

FDambr123 LawnSite Member

It's September and it's beginning to cool down, when is a good time to aerate and put down some seed?

I like to detach in the spring followed with a spring feeding but I've noticed my lawn could use some more seeding to encourage a thicker lawn. I thought of detaching in the spring aerating in the fall.
    -Do you believe that is unnecessary and too much?
    I also thought about adding a yard of loam to my front yard,after aerating just to encourage a better lawn and promote the new seed.
    -Is loam unnecessary or will it aid the new seed and the established lawn?

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

how dry is it up there? around here it is so dry that i dont think i can even get penatration into the soil with my aerator. how much thatch do you have, you want about 1/2 inch in cool season grasses. are you going to irragate the lawn after you seed it?

3. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

i will add loam in trouble areas only. Do it right now.

4. capcitydude

capcitydude LawnSite Member

I hope now is a good time. I live just outside of Boston and plan on reseeding my entire lawn in 4 to 5 days, weather permitting.

5. FDambr123

FDambr123 LawnSite Member

it's been pretty dry over here but slowly turning around. in response to how much thatch i have, I do not know. Many areas on the lawn are clearly filled with thatch without any growing grass. This is from the long periods of hot weather we have had.