Overseeding with Black Beauty Ultra

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by precator, Jul 16, 2012.

1. precator

precator LawnSite Member

2. Brett Thomas

Brett Thomas LawnSite Member

just FYI for everyone here sod farms buy seed in bulk and usually have multiple pallets left. If u do know the owners personally u can place a order with them for reseeding to cut down on your price. I believe we were getting black beauty for $ 80 - $ 85 last year.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Just remember to kill the old grass first. And you need to expose a lot of soil. 50 percent of the soil must be visible. And...you will have a lot of debris to rake up. Of course, you can always use that dead grass as if it were straw mulch.

4. docjones

docjones LawnSite Member
    from WV

The jonathan green online store has 50# bags for 119.99. That's the cheapest I can find it. There are no local dealers near me. It's expensive no doubt.

5. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone have pics of an established BB lawn? I'm considering it for a fall overseed with the slit seeder at my place.

6. precator

precator LawnSite Member

would you roundup this lawn and start over? or would overseeding with a good quality seed like Black Beauty be ok? I want to get a nice full green lawn.

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, kill the old grass if you want a Black Beauty lawn. If you can live with mostly old crummy grass, and 20 percent Black Beauty--fine power rake and have at it. You may get numerous spots of darker green Black Beauty. But you should also consider correcting the problem that caused the trouble--mainly drought and the lack of watering. If you are not going to water every day...you may result in almost zero Black beauty.
    Fall is better for seeding (for cool season northern grass), wait until high temps come down below 85, (I would expect about Sept first for your area, NJ.)
    http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/08204

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

You could run the risk of failure and take several years to recover... it may be wise to roundup only a specific area and seed that this Fall, then overseed the rest of it normally... next Spring you may see how it is on your lawn... Just a precautionary idea... :)

9. wrooster

wrooster LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Yes. :)

I have over-seeded and new-seeded with it, with good results both ways. And considering the dry heat we have had this year, it has held up well.

See the some of the back-story saga here:
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=4337826&postcount=13

Wrooster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Groomer