Overseeding with Rye

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jsmonroeCT, Sep 8, 2005.

1. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

I have a question, silly as it may be. How come I dont see peple overseeding with per rye? I'm preparing to overseed this weekend and I want to to use per rye (fast germ rates) but now I'm leaning towards a tall fescue. I live in CT.

Thanks.

Jeff

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Why anyone would want to overseed cool season turf with P. Rye makes no sense to me. The newer KBG seed varieties germinate in 6 or 7 days, and are much more disease resistant than rye.

3. jsmonroeCT

from CT

Thanks Mike. What varities do you recomend and where can the be purchased? I only asked about the rye b/c I feel like I waited too long (I had personal obligations the past two weekends). I really appreciate the responce.

4. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

Jeff, scrap the perennial rye idea and go with KBG. I used Midnight that I purchased from Crosman Seed out of NY. Check their website. Germinates in 6 days, very good turf density, dwarf growth habit. Excellent cultivar.

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Go to NTEP. Pick any of the top performers. You can't go wrong. For best results, blend 3 or 4 varieties. I buy my seed locally, but any major seed supplier like Amturf should be able to help you. Some suppliers have a blend of several top performers, usually referred to as "Top Blue". Maybe someone from your area can chime in to tell you if there is a local seed supplier near you.

6. jsmonroeCT

from CT

Thanks for all the advice. I overseeded with Tall Fescue (looked at NTEp and found some good results) using an overseeder. I was suprised out how much it tears up the turf and how economically it uses the seed. Very happy. I'll post pics later today or tomorrow.

Thanks again.

7. jsmonroeCT

from CT

Heres a pics of the overseeding I did. I made two passes w/o seeding, picked up all the thatch and then made two more passes with the seed.

DSC_1827.jpg