Overseeding with Tall Fescue...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by leejp, Sep 7, 2005.

1. leejp

leejp LawnSite Member

I've heard and read that one should never overseed with Tall Fescue on anything but a Tall Fescue lawn. What is the reason for this?

2. RicVa

RicVa LawnSite Member

Some say that since tall fescue is a bunch-type grass, it can stand out in a rhizomatous grass like kentucky bluegrass. I really don't think this appearance issue is an issue with the newer cultivars of turf type tall fescue. If you are using KY31 tall fescue, then you might have this issue.

One other reason you might read that is because tall fescue might have different maintenance requirements in certain areas. Bluegrass might require more water, and that additional water might not be needed by the fescue, which is typically more drought tolerant.

3. leejp

leejp LawnSite Member

That's what I thought... I have mixed lawn now (kentucky Bluegrass mostly) that I'm overseeding with Titan Ltd. Tall Fescue. Eventually I want the Titan Ltd. to be the primary lawn but I didn't have the nerve to Roundup my lawn prior to seeding. I don't mind a patchy lawn for a year or two... I'll continue to introduce Tall Fescue varieties until the lawn looks uniform.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Prostrate type growth turfgrasses like KBG will grow much slower (heightwise) than tall fescues like Kentucky 31. Kentucky 31 is NOT a turf type tall fescue.
    Another thing is that because TTTF is a bunch type growth habit, eventually, it can and will be run down by the stronger prostrate growing type turfs.

5. leejp

leejp LawnSite Member

I am reseeding with Titan Ltd. Which which spreads through rhizomes (is that the same as prostrate?) so will the KBG and the Titan Ltd "compete"? I eventually want a hardier Tall Fescue Lawn.