Overseeding without charge?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Jan 24, 2008.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I helped a friend move yesterday and noticed they were throwing away a 100lb push spreader (its works perfect). Since then I have been researching on overseeding so I could mabey add it as a service before the season starts.
    Then I thought about doing it without asking the customer. If I get an account in a nice neighborhood, I wouldnt mind buying a bag or two for the front yard just to make it look good (good advertisement).
    So, What are the outcomes of overseeding without scalping? Will I still get good results? Do you think it is worth the money to try and get other customers?

2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Definitly not worth it IMO. The customers will not water and you will not notice a difference especially if you just throw down the seed without slicing or aerating. I am thinking about droping overseeding as a service all together because people are to damn stupid and lazy to water.

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Have you checked the price of seed? No way would I give it away for free like this.

You'd be better off spending the money on real advertising.

4. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Can you start with my yard

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Heck no......

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

stephen, I am glad you live in another state. I hope you don't have any relatives runnin around up here. STOP working for free, or at a LOSS already!

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You are sorta on the right track with the overseeding thing. You can get a lot of extra cuts out of using rye. And it wouldn't be a bad idea if the customer agrees and has irrigation. We essentiall strip it to ground for very small amount and then charge them for the seed.... and fertilize 4 times. All that stopped in our area this year city donesn't want water wasted on it.

8. mnickison

mnickison LawnSite Member

I wouldnt do anything without the customer's consent. If youre spending time and money on a project, you should be payed for it. Sell the service. If they want a good looking yard, I'm sure they would be willing to spend the extra money.

9. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

If the seed doesn't get watered daily you won't get much germination. The good rye by me costs about a buck a pound or 50.00 per bag. Thats not cheap to be donating to a customers yard. That also does not include the fert you will need to get this stuff growing good and not looking thin. I have already put down 2 rounds of fert with one or two more to go. I disagree with GravelyGuy though regarding broadcasting the seed. If you cut the existing grass as low as you can and then broadcast the seed you can get good results. I always plan on seeding thin spots a second time about a month after the initial seeding. I do that with broadcsast seeding or when I have used a slit seeder.